What is Soetlief?
Soetlief is an online social and emotional skills program aimed at equipping children and their parents with practical steps and tools to identify, communicate and control emotions (except for anger which is not viewed as an emotion) in order to attain and maintain positive and healthy personal relationships.
The Soetlief online program consists of content, graphic depictions, overviews, information, sets of related interactive activities and instructions.
The Soetlief online program is there to facilitate what is defined as EQ and is an attempt to explain it in a child-friendly manner in order for your child to understand and learn ways to control and deal with social and emotional challenges.
The Soetlief online program is aimed at creating awareness of social and emotional skills and aim to guide and facilitate your child towards the discovery/identification of social and emotional behaviour.
Soetlief can be viewed as an online program where the registered user (parent/guardian or child) gains knowledge of the content, that can be transferred to thinking differently and possibly influencing behaviour.
What is Soetlief not?
- The program is not a quick fix for problems or challenges. It is a process of training, discovery, application, integration and adopting of skills.
- Soetlief is not a problem-child program.
- Soetlief is not a rehabilitation program.
- Soetlief is not a program to be used to remedy unresolved pain from the past.
- Soetlief is not a program to heal trauma or negative experiences.
- The Soetlief program does not relate to coaching of any kind. It is not about equipping the registered user to reach a goal. It is not about the setting or achieving of goals.
- The Soetlief program is not a counselling service or platform, nor coaching service, nor outcome driven in its approach.
- The Soetlief program is not therapy nor developed with one child in mind. The program aims to consider a wide spectrum of children according to age in order to include as many examples and challenges of children (of particular age groups) in order to assist as many children as possible in the development of social and emotional skills.
- The Soetlief program is not the use of medical terms, posing as a medical field or profession, research or medical intervention.
- The Soetlief program is not an evaluation or assessment of any sort. Where applicable in the program, parents and children are encouraged to seek relevant assistance and help if they feel necessary.
What is a program?
A program is developed for a certain age range (Tots (3 - 5), Troops (6 - 9) or Tweens (10 - 12) and is to be completed over an 18-month period. A program consists of parts, modules, lessons and sections.
What is a part?
A part is a collection of modules that run over a period of 6 (six) months.
What is a module?
A module is a monthly curriculum. A module addresses a set of social and emotional lessons.
What is a lesson?
A lesson addresses a specific social or emotional skill.
What is a section?
A section addresses a collection of training and activities.
What is the chronological age?
Chronological age refers to the actual amount of time a person has been alive. In other words, the number of days, months or years a person has been alive does not change, regardless of how healthy a lifestyle - even one filled with great exercise and nutrition habits - they are living.
What is the functional age?
Functional health status assesses functioning at the level of the older person, describing how that person functions in daily life. In terms of developmental delay: "A person/child who manifests the development and behaviours of a particular age group, which are not necessarily typical of the chronological age of the person."
What is the functional age?
Tots: 3-5 functional age
In this program, the focus is on several fundamental emotional development concepts such as Sensory Awareness, Vocabulary, the understanding of Emotional Concepts and Emotional Awareness through the very basic training of emotional skills.
Troops: 6-9 functional age
In this program, the focus is on self-awareness, appropriate expression of feelings and mechanisms to regulate negative experiences. Topics such as Sensory Awareness, Introduction to Emotions and Borders will be addressed.
Tweens: 10-12 functional age
In this program, the focus is on the experience of complex emotions - basic emotions shaped by social and relational situations. Topics such as Body Language, Boundaries and Complex Emotions of Anger, Fear and Sadness will be addressed.
When/how will I see a change in my child?
Bear in mind that this is a skills program and not therapy. Our programs focus on teaching and developing through obtaining knowledge related to specific useful Social and Emotional competencies.
Can my child repeat a lesson?
Yes, the programs and system are designed with the intention that a learner would want to repeat their activities as many times as they like. This is also highly recommended.
Can more than one child share a profile?
No, this is not allowed. Each registered user (child) to this site is granted a unique registered username and password which is used to gain access to the materials therein. This registered username and password are confidential and under no circumstances whatsoever may the registered user share or distribute their registered username or passwords to any third party/parties. Any breach of this term will result in the immediate suspension of the account of the registered user.
Can I copy the course material?
No, this is not allowed. Under no circumstances whatsoever may registered users distribute programs or additional reading material contained within the online training portal to any third party. Each program is individually licensed, and any registered user found in breach of this term shall have their account immediately suspended.